It’s no secret that both smartphone and tablet use is on the rise in the United States. According to a study by the Pew Research Center, almost 77% of Americans use a smartphone and 51% own a tablet. With these numbers increasing, it’s changing the way businesses have to market to their audiences.
This shift introduced “mobile marketing” to us several years ago, but some people are just joining in now. Marketo defines mobile marketing as “a multi-channel, digital marketing strategy aimed at reaching a target audience on their smartphones, tablets, and/or other mobile devices, via websites, email, SMS and MMS, social media, and apps.”
Because consumers and clients are more attached to their mobile devices, it’s important to be accessible 24/7 and to utilize appropriate marketing techniques for these platforms. Each of these platforms differs in terms of effective methods and demographics.
- Format your website correctly: One of the biggest reasons people don’t stay on websites is because they cannot navigate them. Take the time to make sure your website looks good on every type of device. In addition to making it easier for your customers to view your information, Google will penalize you if you aren’t mobile friendly.
- Update them when necessary: Some people forget to update their site when something new, such as a sale, holiday hours, or an event, is happening. However, you can also forget to take down those specials when they end. In the end, you want your website to be as user-friendly as possible and both of these instances cause frustration for the customer.
- Develop a mailing list: The most important aspect of email newsletters is getting your name and what you do out there. Whether you start with a few or a lot of contacts, the list should be yours. Buying mailing lists can actually hurt you in the long run. You can always add more people, but you can’t always get out of junk mail.
- Set a schedule: Consistency helps both you and your readers. If you have a deadline, you’re more likely to send your newsletter out by that time. Additionally, if you send it out on a consistent basis, your readers will be expecting and waiting to read what you send next.
- Put something out every month: Not every newsletter has to have exactly the same layout. If you are doing something, brag about it. However, keep in mind that content should always be value added to the reader. Not just what you want to say, but what they want to read.
For SMS (Short Message System) and MMS (Multimedia Message Service):
- Send alerts to people’s phones: Some companies, such as Amazon and Delta, utilize text alerts to let their customers know of special deals or track flights.
- Let people opt-in/opt-out: It’s vital that you are marketing to the correct people. Some people prefer getting messages while others prefer emails or social media.
- Keep it simple: Having short SMS and MMS allows customers to be kept in the loop without your company being overbearing. If there’s additional information, include a link.
For social media:
- Utilize multiple sites: Each site has it’s own unique benefits and disadvantages. By being on various platforms, you are allowing your business to appeal to the most people. Keep in mind that you want to be where your clients and customers are. If you don’t know, then ask. Don’t just guess you need to be on a social platform and it is better to be active on a few than not active on a lot.
- Link your accounts: You want to get the most visibility for your posts. Consider sharing your YouTube videos on your business Facebook page. Tweet the link to your website’s newest blog post; whatever you can do to get more clicks.
- Share relevant and fun content: Having the right mix between business related content and fun content like holidays shows a personal touch that not all businesses have.
- Keep users engaged: Unfortunately, your app will not appeal to everyone. But, by keeping the current users happy with your app, they are likely to have it downloaded on their phone and to tell other people about it. Focus on the clients, not on what you want to do with it.
- Request feedback: The best way to maintain customer satisfaction is by letting them to talk to you. Have a part of your app that is dedicated to feedback or include an email address where they can send comments, concerns, or questions.