Over the years, ghost blogging has earned a bit of a negative reputation for being associated with plagiarism.
Because people have the wrong idea about what it is.
We at H2H Consulting have found that many people believe that ghost blogging follows this process.
- A blog is written by one person.
- Another company or person takes credit for the post and the content.
- The writer never sees the published the content and never receives benefits.
Does that sound bad to you?
Because it sounds bad to us.
But, that’s not what ghost blogging is.
According to Ethics in Public Relations, a ghost blog is “a blog written by a person or company on behalf of another company or person.”
The words “on behalf of” change the whole meaning. In all cases the writer knows that what they are writing won’t be published under their name and has already given permission to the publisher to use their material.
In fact, the writer is often paid to produce these blogs for another company or person.
Just imagine that the list of blogs sitting on your to do list were written for you.
If that sounds appealing to you, or to your company, it might be time to hire a marketing agency.
Who is a Ghost Blogger?
A ghost blogger is someone who may or may not know your industry or your company but is willing to work with you to better understand what you do and what you can offer to customers and clients. They are always strong writers.
Ghost bloggers develop content in one of two ways.
- You can create with topics for your company, especially as the ghost blogger is getting to know your work and style.
- The ghost blogger can create their own topics and run the suggestions by you. Then the ghost blogger can brainstorm ideas and content that your customers want to read about, and content that you struggle to put into words.
Marketing agencies are great places to find ghost bloggers, because they can have someone write the post, and effectively market it on your website, social media platforms, and on search engines.
Benefits of Hiring a Ghost Blogger for Your Company
There are several reasons to hire a ghost blogger for your company, but these are some of the most common.
Hiring someone to write your blogs saves you time. If you don’t like writing, or you just don’t know what to write, you’ll save time by having a professional do it for you. And having someone to write that content for you allows you to get back to your business, whether that’s making pizza or selling cars.
A ghost blogger can also increase the reach of your content. They have a better understanding than the average person of how to get your blogs to rank on the first page of Google, get mentioned by other, bigger publications, and be noticed by more readers.
Because writing is the specialty of ghost bloggers, the quality of their writing is better. They know how to create attention-grabbing headlines, engaging material, and a compelling finale that will include a call to action or CTA to your readers on how to get in touch with your company or learn more about the material.
Downsides of Ghost Blogging
While we’d like to tell you that they are no negatives to hiring a ghost blogger, we can’t.
Not all ghost writers are worth hiring. Here are our red flags about hiring ghost writers.
- The cost is too low: A low price is nice, but in this case, you get what you pay for. If the blog you want only costs you $10, it may not be good quality content or writing. It’s better to spend a little more for good posts.
- The ghost blogger is well-known: While this could seem like a positive, you should be careful. Even ghost bloggers have outsourced themselves, and you want to make sure you know who is writing your post, so you know the quality is worthwhile.
- The blogger doesn’t match your style: Some people are more comfortable writing formally or casually. Make sure that whomever you choose is willing to adjust to your style and what you want to project. Sometimes, it just isn’t the right fit.
If you are interested in having us ghost write for your company, you can contact Kendra Corman at email@example.com.